Author Topic: Collab Mobile Game!  (Read 2630 times)

Guma

• Global Moderator
  • [INSERT SOME "INTELLIGENT" QUOTE HERE]
    • View Profile
Collab Mobile Game!
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:34:49 PM »
So I've just switched to Game Maker Studio after ages of using Game Maker 8.1, as unbelievable as it sounds. I've used Game Maker Studio before, but it was a standard version which has some cons.

Either way, I was thinking of doing a game for Android/iOS that would be based on a principle of simplicity.

For example, agar.io. It is very simple but it's engaging and people love it.
Good examples for mobiles are Crossy Road and Flappy Bird.

We could collaborate to make some sort of a mini game that would have good graphics but simplicity in mind.

I have no idea what the game should be like or what it should be about, so feel free to start off here!
You can share ideas, what the gameplay should be like, what the design should be and if you want to collaborate. The game would be free but contain Ad's, so the revenue would be split. This would be a good chance to add this to your portfolios if the game succeeds. It would also give us all a good learning experience, teamwork, and most of all - Fun! (Also money for Jack to shave his beard)

As for simplicity, some rules should be set. So here they are -
• No pixel graphics. Seriously, Indie games are not supposed to be pixelated just to be Indie games! We can do better!
• No control pads/keys. The game should be possible to be played with just one finger.
• The game should not be RPG, FPS, or a MMO game. The point is to have a game with replay value, perhaps infinite runner or if a puzzle, Angry Birds esque (however it would require regular content updates).
• Although not necessary, a social component would be a good part to improve experience.

Ideas for gameplay
• Agar.io sort of game with gravity as a key component. Graphics would be colorful, glowing.
• Randomly generated puzzle game
- Your ideas (to be updated)

Let's go!
The point of the project is to have fun, so if we all work together maybe we can achieve something.
We should also have a name for our team, so feel free to give ideas for that too.
(JacksEvilCorporation®)
> learning web database programming D:

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
Re: Collab Mobile Game!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »
Idea: Infinite/Finite parkour game, where players can create custom levels!
(And possibly share them with friends)
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:44:46 AM »

Matchesia

• A Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 12:46:13 AM »
sounds interesting.

It's dead, but not as dead as the chat.
https://discord.gg/BA9FpQJ

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 12:49:21 AM »
• No pixel graphics. Seriously, Indie games are not supposed to be pixelated just to be Indie games! We can do better!

You really make it sound as pixel art is somehow inferior or not as good as other art styles.
http://elanorpam.tumblr.com/post/67573758692/beautiful-pixel-artwork
http://laughingsquid.com/beautiful-pixel-art-illustrations-of-detailed-scenes-that-tell-a-personal-story-about-the-artist/
http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/holy-shit-are-these-pixel-art-drawings-beautiful-or-what#.ki42pY0qg

I do love Pixel Art, and I don't think its inferior!
I was thinking of something along these lines...

Of course, if you guys want to do pixel art we should consider into voxels.
AKA Crossy Road. Check it out.

Matchesia

• A Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 12:50:16 AM »
Wow, guma that looks beautiful.

It's dead, but not as dead as the chat.
https://discord.gg/BA9FpQJ

Uxernome

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:55 AM »
I'm pretty good making sprites, so naturally I was interested in contributing since it's the only thing I know that's good for game making, but then you said no pixel.  :'( Anyways, not that I care, I only make sprites for role playing games, platformers and sprite comics. :P

Know guys that I will always offer my services for French translation for free, I will never ask you to pay a fee, since it's kind of a hobby for me. Atm I'm translating another game and a web comic, but if you ask me, I can always find time for any of this community's projects and make such projects a priority over other translation projects.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:24:53 AM by Uxernome »

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »
I mean if that's what bothers you guys we can go with Pixel Art then.
But in this case it has to be up to par with this:

I mean, if we are making a game it has to be attractive and something that people would enjoy playing. Eye candy is one of the key components.

We certainly do not want to have this

Or this :P

Anyways, I hope you guys get my point. If we all work hard together maybe we can get to high standards and improve our own Pixel Art skills.

But for now, let's focus on gameplay. What should it be like? What about? Should it be a puzzle game? If so, what kind of?

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »
Im in!  I like the idea of an Agario type game since i have had a lot of fun playing agario, but it's almost difficult to add to such a simple idea. I do like the idea of having crossy road type graphics. Infinite runners get pretty addicting, so may i suggest the idea of doing something like bitTrip Runner, but maybe infinite instead of level based?

Say nope to dope!

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 11:03:13 PM »
Idea: Golf duel.
I don't really enjoy golf, and this game idea isn't that related to golf.

Point of the game, two teams of golfers line up, a far distance away from eachother, and take turns trying to hit opponents from the other side XD!

(Better idea:)
Another idea, we could make a minigames game, where you do a bunch of minigames (Like in warioware or the dumb ways to die game.)
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 11:58:29 PM »
I like the first idea. Something competitive yet simple and intuitive, keep it rolling guys!!!!

Uxernome

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
I vote for tyler's idea of harmful golf.

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
We should make some sort of themed golf. Like space golf, or rainbow-land golf. Maybe some futuristic golf.
I like it!

Just not casual golf. It should be a possible theme to select in options but please, let's make it unique!

The game should be easy to control and play with one thumb, it should be possible to resize the game screen and it should be very simple to understand with minimal instructions.
I mean, look at Flappy Bird. So simple yet so addicting, probably what made it popular.

Like I said, if we collaborate this is a good chance for all of us. So let's roll!
If we stick with golf idea, we should start planning out how it should work, concepts and stuff like that. Ill update the thread once I get something done on that department, I hope you guys keep these ideas coming!!!!

Good stuff.

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 06:03:13 PM »
Okay, I've decided that normal forum rules for this thread shall not apply. Feel free to triple/quad/infi-post here as long as we stay on task!

Here's a concept I whipped up.

Excuse my awful paint skills :P

And here's something that we could try taking example of.
I love those particle effects and sounds!

Uxernome

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
for ball propelling, I think something similar to games like Toss the Turtle would be great.