Author Topic: Main Website Update!  (Read 3121 times)

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
Re: Main Website Update!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
I am working on stuff. I'm actually running my PC in power saving mode now, so it's like a third or a quarter slower... Which isn't a bad thing for testing Terrablox and optimizing it. The 2 BIGGEST performance hitters are Noise Generation and the Frustum Culling. The quadtree optimisation is half way done.
Yeah if Frustum Culling is taking down performance i'm not sure if it counts as optimization.

Well I think you should do another devlog if it isn't too much.
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
Well, It's a lot better now. In fact one thing slowing it down quite a bit is a sneaky little thing... I made a function just to encapsulate the vertex building stuff. There's an 8% different between that script call and what it actually does! >.< That's 8% of the whole program on just calling certain scripts, the contents of which only take 0.2 or something small like that. So that's fun....

Anyway, I'll add something interesting before I do another video. No point doing a video just showing the same old. Haven't even managed a blog post!

Guma

• Global Moderator
  • [INSERT SOME "INTELLIGENT" QUOTE HERE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
Well, It's a lot better now. In fact one thing slowing it down quite a bit is a sneaky little thing... I made a function just to encapsulate the vertex building stuff. There's an 8% different between that script call and what it actually does! >.< That's 8% of the whole program on just calling certain scripts, the contents of which only take 0.2 or something small like that. So that's fun....

Anyway, I'll add something interesting before I do another video. No point doing a video just showing the same old. Haven't even managed a blog post!
Out of everything we are the most interested in gameplay stuff, to be honest!
I do enjoy technical stuff, but you know. :)
I'd love to see Terraboy model work in new engine, for example. Maybe different shading or some graphical improvements.
> learning web database programming D:

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »
I actually admire the core system rather than the gameplay because the way jack creates the mesh and his methods provide me with information that ive needed.
Plus this is terrablox source its just the core engine nothing less and nothing more...so i'd doubt if he would add terrablox's player...rushing into gameplay isnt such a good idea, i think thats what dragged the terrablox engine down before if you think about it...the constant updates on gameplay and not the engine functionality
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
I second this, the technical side of things need to be improved first and foremost. Gameplay cannot be worked on until you are completely satisfied with the engine. I see now that even though the engine runs at 70 on Jacks computer... It's still Jacks computer. Power saving or not, Jack's computer is still really good, and i don't think 70 is enough, especially not with something that has no added graphical effects of any kind. This being said, there's still too much to be done to worry about gameplay, especially since this is supposed to be an open source engine, with gameplay being part of the actual game
Say nope to dope!

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 06:48:31 PM »
I think Terrabloxian summed it up perfectly.
Having the game free, open source and super optimized would be our good side, it will help us a lot in making the game grow.

Uxernome

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
...aaand I have nothing left to say. I'm satisfied with how Terrablox is being developed.

Guma

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »
Are you cereal? The website is flourishing with liveliness, hopefully we keep on staying active again! :P

Uxernome

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:58 PM »
Lol. Yeah I'm cereal. But only girls have the permission to eat me. ;)

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
I second this, the technical side of things need to be improved first and foremost. Gameplay cannot be worked on until you are completely satisfied with the engine. I see now that even though the engine runs at 70 on Jacks computer... It's still Jacks computer. Power saving or not, Jack's computer is still really good, and i don't think 70 is enough, especially not with something that has no added graphical effects of any kind. This being said, there's still too much to be done to worry about gameplay, especially since this is supposed to be an open source engine, with gameplay being part of the actual game
When on full power it runs at over twice that. Which still isn't much, but also that into account that this IS NOT YYC. With YYC a lot of the things that are actually hogging that speed get relieved, it just needs to start working again! :P But really, it could be compared to the current release of Terrablox, if you consider that that didn't have to generate the world as well (literally means it took half the time).

And graphical effects aren't the issue. It's literally creating tons of data, be it generation or vertexes. Obviously the system is in there to distribute this work over several steps, while that increases frame-rate, it doesn't actually get the work done quicker, the effect is exponentially less the more granular it is. So, it's literally a matter of somehow making them functions faster (annoyingly, this could be done if I sacrificed code tidiness by cutting script calls and just duping code, but not prepared to do that!)

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
Well good to know it shouldn't be as hard to fix. I suggest that you destroy the data and save it and just draw the chunk, then just grab the data from the chunk you're in.
Say nope to dope!