Author Topic: Terrablox: Source  (Read 5816 times)

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
Terrablox: Source
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:41:42 AM »
(No, you don't get it yet!)

So I don't think I'm ready to do videos of it, but I'll write up articles on my blog about it.

So.

Dundundun.

Terrablox: Source! :P

http://jack-oatley.com/?p=56

Uxernome

Re: Terrablox: Source
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:36:23 AM »
I hardly understand a thing, but great news!

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »
Great to see that you're back on track!  :)
I'm very interested in the technical side of what you're working on so could when you start making videos or posts about it could we see more technical explanation of what is going on?

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
Sure, this was literally a late night mind-dump. So I dunno how well it's explained but if you want to know more about particular things just let me know and I can do a post about just that. But a lot of stuff is still subject to change, obviously. :)

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
Yeah! I was just recently hoping that you would make terrablox open source! Now look! Haha, im glad to see you're working on this again Jack.
Say nope to dope!

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! This is incredible...
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
Good for you Jack! I'm glad that you are working on Terrablox again.
My first thought was: "He's remaking terrablox again? Seriously?"
But then I thought, every time you remake it, it gets better then the last time, if that's what it takes to make a successful game, then I think you of all people can make it.

But if you are making an engine, it needs a cool name!
And this is making me think of the Source Engine, and games built up off of that, like Garry's mod can load maps from Half Life and Team fortress 2 and so on.

And is this your 4th go around remaking Terrablox?
That's dedication.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:44:05 PM by trg601 »
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
💬After reading over the article, ive learned a few things already 😀; i wonder how far this will go because i will be kn the look out for this concept 💭
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Thanks guys.

And is this your 4th go around remaking Terrablox?
That's dedication.
Some of you guys have been around for all that time as well. And even though the first TB wasn't meant to be open source, it eventually ended up that way, but some of the things you guys added I couldn't have done (especially as my codebase there was TERRIBLE, UTTERLY TERRIBLE)... So what you'll do with an actually decent engine will be really interesting. :)

💬After reading over the article, ive learned a few things already 😀; i wonder how far this will go because i will be kn the look out for this concept 💭
Modelling is already a lot faster. Memory is vastly down and will be compressed even further. Worlds can be "infinite"... So there's room for potential.
Generation will be expanded a lot to produce interesting worlds. There will be Cube World style rendering instead of textures, as an option.
The main foreseeable hurdles I think are Liquids and Lighting, both requite a share of processing and/or memory. But once those are solved properly, I believe anything else will be trivial.

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
Cubeworld uses a colorbase and still looks epic and also your rewritting the lighting system? This has me excited, water physics would be cool as well; very cool...
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

Uxernome

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 12:03:31 AM »
So what you'll do with an actually decent engine will be really interesting. :)
I agree that might become quite interesting. I remember that river of mods for legacy and was a little saddened to hear that it was impossible for the current terrablox.

As for I, only person here who doesn't know a thing about GML other than what it is, I talk more as a translator: the previous system was in my opinion a little weird, so I ended up not making a real correct french translation of terrablox because I wasn't sure of how to do it. Also, accents didn't work with any version of terrablox and that's another thing that stopped me. I also suggest that the font of the game shifts to arial unicode ms because it has a greater number of signs, punctuation marks and foreign alphabets or something that will allow all of this.

I'm learning spanish and portuguese and took interest in the norman french languages of Channel Islands and also polish. So who knows, maybe one day I'll translate your game more than once...

BTW, I'm talking about the next terrablox that Jack is planning to make, not the source, sorry if that causes misunderstandings.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:13:08 AM by Uxernome »

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
I think if Terrablox had multiple languages it would attract more players.

Also, I think universal map loading/saving features and maybe schematic loading feature so that most games made with the engine could share maps and schematics!

Also, related to the new Terrablox, do you plan on making all the creatures you designed for the current version?
Terrablox Solder

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »
Also, related to the new Terrablox, do you plan on making all the creatures you designed for the current version?
Technically, that's game content. I may include some of them in the engine as placeholder for engine features, but they wouldn't be free to use. It'll need some thought. I haven't thought that far ahead really.

The idea is to build this engine, which will be open source. And build my game on top of that, which won't be open source. So art, audio and unique gameplay won't be there, but all the technical features that allow it will.

Uxernome

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
Previous terrablox is called Legacy Terrablox, current terrablox is called Terrablox and sometimes New Terrablox. The question here is, what will the next be called? Yeah I know, that's a stupid question.

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 12:09:48 AM »
Previous terrablox is called Legacy Terrablox, current terrablox is called Terrablox and sometimes New Terrablox. The question here is, what will the next be called? Yeah I know, that's a stupid question.
Lol I was thinking the same thing... Maybe the older versions names will be pushed back a level.
Or he will give it a different subtitle like: "Terrablox: Rebirth"
Terrablox Solder