Author Topic: New SOT Thread  (Read 5690 times)

Uxernome

Re: New SOT Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
Pronunciation of the Yariotish Language

My microphone is a little retarded, so the sounds doesn't come out well and in the end, I had to exaggerate the pronunciation in most cases.  You can find some examples there: ge.tt/60eTHUA2
Otherwise, I'm sorry to tell you that you'll have to know some basic french to understand the correct pronunciations of the letters.

A
B
C alone or in pairs is used rarely in writing, it is a holy letter and as such, it can only be used for certain exceptions. Always used like a K
Ch tch
Ct kt
D
E é
Eh è
G hard g, never used for the J sound
H like an expiration
He hé
Heh hè
Ho ho
HoH hoh
Hi éye
I ille, but it acts like a standard Y when there is another vowel right after except itself
Ii éyille
Ih hèye
J
Jj dj
K
L
M
N
O
Oh a
Oi
On Spanish, French and English Pronunciations are all correct
P
Ph is not the same thing as f. P and H are completely independent from one another
Qu kw
Quh gw
R the r is pronounced like in english except when...
   ...It is doubled (rr), which is pronounced like the spanish r
   ...It is coupled with the letter I, which is pronounced like the french r
   ...It is coupled with the letter Z in this order: zr, in this case, french r again
   ...It ends a word. (french again)
S ss never used for the z sound
Sh
T
Tfh tf
Th sf
U oo
Un like the french un
Unn like the spanish un
V
W
Y pronounced like the english E in every case
Z
Zz dz
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:06:08 AM by Uxernome »

Guma

• Global Moderator
  • [INSERT SOME "INTELLIGENT" QUOTE HERE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:35 AM »
I'm still on my French courses...

Bonjour monsierur! Comment ca va?
Je suis Guma, je ne pas utilize Google Translate.

C'est tres bien, oui?
> learning web database programming D:

Uxernome

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 03:52:16 AM »
Non c'est horrible, un dégout s'en prend à moi dès que je lis ces phrases débiles que personne ne dit  jamais. Blagues à part, en Français, c'est Google traduction. Seul le premier mot d'un titre ou du nom d'un objet prend une lettre majuscule. Ton français écrit est bon, Guma, tu n'es pas tombé dans le piège que beaucoup de locuteurs natifs font avec le mot monsieur qui est d'ailleur prononcé meucieu.  En français, nous n'utilisons pas la lettre z pour faire le son z mais plutôt la lettre s. Z n'est utilisée que dans de très rares mots qu'il faut apprendre par cœur, sinon il est utilisé pour conjuguer la plupart des verbes avec le vous afin de faire le son é, par exemple: « Avez-vous bien retenu vos leçons sur la langue de Molière? » Utiliser une phrase négative en français est une aventure qui mêle bien des gens qui l'apprennent en tant que langue seconde; on met le ne devant l'action (verbe) et le pas après l'action, si le ne est devant un mot qui commence par une voyelle, il devient n', exemple: « Je n'utilise pas Google traduction. » Mais au parler, nous ne disons que très rarement le ne.

If you can read and understand this all by yourself or with minimal help, then your french is good.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:26:16 PM by Uxernome »

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
Wow that was harsh
Say nope to dope!

Uxernome

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
Wow that was harsh

You failed the test, congrats.

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
on met le ne devant l'action (verbe) et le pas après l'action, si le ne est devant un mot qui commence par une voyelle, il devient n', exemple: « Je n'utilise pas Google traduction. » Mais au parler, nous ne disons que très rarement le ne.

why can't we use google translate? :(

Uxernome

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
why can't we use google translate? :(

Well that is new. I suppose that's what happens with software that translates whole texts for you, it changes the original meaning of the sentence. I never said that you cannot use google translate.

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »
Well that is new. I suppose that's what happens with software that translates whole texts for you, it changes the original meaning of the sentence. I never said that you cannot use google translate.

Did I ever say that I used google translate? And did I ever say that my reply actually had anything to do with what you said?

Uxernome

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 12:36:14 AM »
You can't use an online automated translator for the languages of terraland anyways.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:21:19 AM by Uxernome »

Uxernome

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 04:38:07 AM »
Those who were on the chat in the time it was active may remember that I once said that the razcs might very well be the key, the central point of it all. Well originally, I only had a few things in mind about said creatures and it wasn't enough for I to build something big out of it. I had planned to make you wait until the release of the final map in Zaraliofth before writing the Revelation. However, a wave of inspiration drowned my mind while I was taking a shower and since I know it will be quite a bit before we see a eighth map released, I took the liberty to release the document  the day it was written (which is right now if you can't math).

Read at your own risk. By reading this, you acknowledge that there are gaps in the story that can only be better understood by reading earlier, yet to be written documents. That you won't get the feeling of satisfaction of discovering the document you would have, had you found this text first as a relic object on a map yet to be built.

That is why I recommend that you read the document only after playing the map once it is released. The purpose of I posting this is only because I wish to keep an online backup of the story in a place where I'll be able to find it without difficulty.

Spoiler: Document #8: Origin of the Gods (hover to show)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:42:10 PM by Uxernome »

Uxernome

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
Since majhost seems like it will be eternally down for maintenance, I upload here in this post the languages and their scripts. But I will include language and script information as well.

Dracanata Syllabary

Used by: Many dragon clans of the Light, all dragon clans of the Dark, Kamatemian Republic.

Glyph count: 83

History: The Dracanata Syllabary is the most widespread script in the SoT universe and also
the oldest. The dragons are conservative in nature, they keep to the traditions, that's why the
syllabary hasn't changed for million of years despite it's many flaws. By example, many dragon names have consonant pairs like the DR of DRACANATA, the inventor of the syllabary, but consonant pairs don't exist in this script. There are also vowel sounds which have no equivalent in written form. Usually, names are either written the closest as possible to what it sounds or are written using Solid Script. By example, if we don't use Solid Script, Dracanata is written Doracanata or Daracanata. When the Dragons discovered Terraland, they influenced culturally some of the Varachimean nations willing to support them in their wars, however most of those nations already had writing systems. One nation among those that did not have one, adopted an adapted variation of the Dracanata Syllabary for the writing of their tongue, Kamateme.

Yeffin Alphabet

Used by: Some dragon clans of the Light, Zaraliotfh Kingdom

Glyph count: 26

History: Originally created by Yeffin the Wise to communicate secretly and safely with Light Clans captured by the Dark Clans. It was eventually adopted as an official script by some of the Clans of the Light after their rebellion and liberation. Some time after, during Yeffin's travels in the universe seeking ultimate wisdom, he arrived in Terraland (million years before it's official discovery by the dragons) and visited the Zaraliofhan and Yariofhan Magocratic kingdoms, he shared with them the Yeffin Alphabet, which they in turn made sure it was thought in their respective countries. The dragons being conservative in nature, they still used the old yeffin alphabet million of years after it's invention. But after thousands of years only, the yeffin alphabet had evolved at least twice in Terraland.

Unknown Terralander Script

Used by: N/A

Glyph count: 28

History: Tablets written in this script were found nearby a Jarachimtyrk city, however it is historically impossible for them to have been used by Jarachimtyrks since they already had another writing system that was in use at the time.

Dlullgmik  Alphabet

Used by: Dlullgmik Empire, Harlath Tsardom, various Jarachimtyrk cities and other states

Glyph count: 85, but the Dlullgmik Alphabet has capital letters and small letters. If you wonder why such an uneven number, that is because 9 letters have no capital form since they're not supposed to be used at the start of a word. This alphabet has 47 different letters.

History: The Dlullgmik Empire spread their alphabet through trade treaties with other nations:
They would allow people from the affected nations to travel their territory, have a job there and trade with the dlullgmik people as long as the affected nations teach the alphabet to their scribes, nobles, merchants and from other equivalent educated/upper classes. This resulted in widespread use of the alphabet since trading with the empire was a large economical benefit for most of terraland's nations. Only a small number of countries did not encourage the propagation of this system, especially neutral states and magocracies. But states with more natural resources or of larger territory than the dlullgmik and nations that are too far are also part of the small lot of nations that didn't adopt Alphaterran (another name for the Dlullgmik Alphabet).

Draconic Languages

Spoken by: Dragons, Razcs

History: There exist almost as much draconic languages as there are dragon clans. That is why the Dragon named Dracanata created a language for interclan communication.

Dracanata Language

Spoken by: Dragons, Razcs

History: Spoken during interclan diplomatic meetings, it was at first used solely by the elite members of a dragon clan, but soon the practice of sending a Razc servitor to attend those meetings should one be absent becoming more and more common, the Razcs were thought the language as well. Since some of their razcs servitors now knew the language some dragons brought them with them, even if they were to be present, as scribes, to write down what was said in the meetings.

Yariotish

Spoken by: Zaraliofhans

History: Zaraliotish and Yariotish were at first two distinctive languages spoken by two entirely different people. Zaraliotfh and Yariotfh were rival powers who hated each other, they were also the most powerful states as their unnatural sciences were quite advanced. They eventually made war and the Zaraliofhan Kingdom completely destroyed the Yariofhan kingdom, the cities, the villages, even the people. However, before the last king of Yariotfh died, he put a strong spell on the people of Zaraliotfh which made them forget their customs and language; instead they were contaminated with Yariofhan culture and language.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:45:12 AM by Uxernome »

Uxernome

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 06:24:32 AM »
Yeah I'm still working on it. I know you've all probably come to stop caring about SOT. But well, I've got to finish everything. It's almost been two years since.

Anyways, here is what Alphaterran looks like. It's not in straight horizontal lines because I wanted to recreate the feeling of confusion my friends had when they first saw this alphabet.

The alphabet is used by various countries in which different languages are spoken. However, the main focus that will be done are on it's original users, the Dludjniks and their language, Dlullmiese.
Dlullmiese, if I were to describe it the best way possible, it would be a sort of odd mix between latin and german. Since I have not created the language yet, what you see is still only english written with the letters with which are the most equivalent to the sound they represent.

The Dlullgmik Empire plays an important role in Terraland history and that's why I want to really carve out what it once was, who the people were and all that stuff I did and still do with Zaraliotfh. I plan to make this to be the last "boring" update. The next updates will be more about zaraliotfh culture and history. I've also written a story about Sakoth Sar, a mysterious hero of South Zaraliofhan origin, which I'm about to post sooner than later actually. I might change the name of the hero though, I recently found out that an evil man once bore a very similar name.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:12:41 PM by Uxernome »

Uxernome

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:19 AM »
here comes another boring update...

added new words and changed some for yariotish.

http://pastebin.com/ZXFFPE75

Uxernome

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »
If the map is not finished in the next few days, kill me.

Uxernome

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »
Map: Almost finished
Textures: almost all important textures are done, now there really only is a few things to do.
Quest: find the artifact 10%

early screenshot: