Author Topic: Demos!  (Read 8677 times)

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
Re: New demos
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »
First things first, the standalone .exe actually worked for me this time!

And, wow! I really love the shadows!
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 01:09:06 AM »
This one was a wee slow coming out, it is literally FREEZING here so I haven't been at my PC much, or at least not coding. But got some nice bits done, bringing it more in-line with what was there before.

New demo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33776055/Terrablox/tbdemo8.zip

Changes:
  • Water animates (unlike before, it's in the same mesh as the terrain)
  • Chunks are rendered in order of depth (nearest to farthest, fixing some graphical seam issues)
  • The inside of blocks are rendered when the camera is inside them.
  • Shadows cast correctly on water.
  • Shadows are properly updated when editing blocks.

EDIT:
Also, I managed to actually run this on my crappy laptop. The laptop has a measly 1gHz processor and it was actually playable! Not great, but definitely playable considering I toned down no graphics settings from running it on my main PC. So I at least have a good lowend benchmark machine to play on. :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:15:13 AM by JackOatley »

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »
Love the icon XD!

The engine is coming along really nicely! I can't wait for it to be finished!

Two bugs, though you probably already know about them:
If you cut down two blocks below the surface of land, the blocks below don't render properly, and you can see through the world.

The water looks nice, though if you could make the bottom part of water not be waving that would be better. (Meaning, if you cut through a block of water, you can see the water is actually lifting above the surface of the lake)

Sorry if I am sounding too critical, the engine is coming along really, really awesomely!
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
 :o An update that you didnt tell me about?
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 08:03:20 AM »
:o An update that you didnt tell me about?

Your engine is so amazing its coming all together quite nicely, making me jealous because my voxel engine im working on with eden isnt as nice but we are gonna get there one day  ::)
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »
No, no demo yet, just an update.

So the other day I found some massive optimizations to be made, R34LD34L as a witness! :P Unfortunately they only take effect if you already run above 60fps it seems. I went from 350fps to >5000fps, R3ALD34L went from 70fps to > 3000fps IIRC. The wasted time was that I was doing the frustum culling even when nothing was going to be drawn that step; So we only render the scene 60 times a second, whatever your displayed FPS, but the frustum culling was happening (displayedFPS-60) times a second, so in my case this was 290 unnecessary calls, which is a lot. Taking out these calls made room for other things to happen, the FPS increase though is largely empty space.

So what I've been doing today is trying to use that empty space, though make it toggle-able, as using that time to the full does bring your FPS back down, though you do get a massive boost in the speed new chunks appear. Before, it was held back in that only 1 chunk could be updated between render calls, now all chunks are saved off to a list and the game will try and generate as many of them as it can before the next render call. I've also added an option to turn off the distribution of generation and modelling and these can now be done in the same step (if you have a fast PC then this essentially doubles chunk creation speed). Another cool side effect of listing the chunks to update is that they can be prioritized, so now instead of updating in visible 4x4 blocks they update according to distance from camera and the effect is much smoother.

I'm working to find out how to get low-end machines > 60fps, so they can take advantage of these optimizations too.

In other news, added 2 new noise passes on the very large scale to represent land mass and oceans. The effect is really cool! Check out these screenshots:
http://terrablox.com/forums/index.php?topic=754.msg5950#msg5950 :)

Two bugs, though you probably already know about them:
If you cut down two blocks below the surface of land, the blocks below don't render properly, and you can see through the world.

The water looks nice, though if you could make the bottom part of water not be waving that would be better. (Meaning, if you cut through a block of water, you can see the water is actually lifting above the surface of the lake)

Sorry if I am sounding too critical, the engine is coming along really, really awesomely!
Can never be too critical. And yeah, I know of those issues, The water one should be an easy fix. They bottom of the world one doesn't always happen and I'm not sure the cause yet. But I'll let you know when it's fixed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:47:29 AM by JackOatley »

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »
Shoutout to R34LD34L for testing, anyways i told you there were oceans i seen the most incredible ocean with an island, i was thinking minecraft island survival. The end ive spoken 8)
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 02:04:58 PM »
I should be putting up a demo later, there's one more tweak I want to make to the generation that should add in plains, cliffs and plateaus. It should actually be an easy tweak, it's another noise pass but it happens after all the current noise passes so it will keep the main features (continents, oceans, mountain ranges and rivers.)

If it works it should be REALLY cool, you've seen nothing yet! :P

As for the demo, a lot of changes have been made as you know. It should run faster, or at least the same speed as before but with chunks appearing faster (assuming you were running > 60fps). I'll make the INI persistent so you can tone down view distance (atm this is overwritten on each run) if you need to. Not all the optimization settings are external yet, and I'm still writing the readme to explain them. So I won't promise this will be a stable demo, but here's hoping! :)

EDIT: Actually, I really need to make it clear distant chunks because it generates so quickly now that you can run out of memory in no time. I'll do this crudely for now so as to actually get the demo out. I'll stop it from freeing chunk you've edited, however they still won't be saved anyway...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:24:49 PM by JackOatley »

Guma

• Global Moderator
  • [INSERT SOME "INTELLIGENT" QUOTE HERE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »
Great stuff Jack! Glad to see you rolling on those tracks, you're pretty fast at releasing those demos!
Can't wait.
> learning web database programming D:

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
OK, so apologies that I didn't get the new demo out last night. I totally forgot I had to go out.

But I got one ready now. Though, while I did play with the terrain gen and it generally worked with cliffs and plains and blending of the two, it totally didn't look the way I wanted... So those changed were taken out. I also haven't got chunk freeing in yet so you will still hit a memory wall at some point.

HOWEVER, I have halved vertex memory usage; I'm now passing in the vertex position in a single value, currently as color and using the rgb channels because HLSL is pinniky and I'm not able to use bitwise operators in it... Regardless, it works for what's there atm: 16 x 16 x 128 sized chunks.

Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33776055/Terrablox/tb9.zip

EDIT: Ignore the readme, I was half way through adding in key-mapping and never finished it. You can now edit the INI file though, and it won't be overwritten.

EDIT:
And demo 10: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33776055/Terrablox/tb10.zip

Changes:
  • Can now navigate inventory bar with numbers and Z + X
  • Fixed camera is now moved on a flat plane
  • Camera height can now be directly altered with C + Space
  • In fixed camera mode, you can now edit blocks anywhere on screen
  • Added mouse sensitivity and camera speed to INI file
  • Can now change initial window size in the INI file
  • Mouse controlled camera is now smoother, will add INI parameters in next demo(derp)
  • Fixed chunk seams not updating when removing blocks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:14:01 PM by JackOatley »

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »
Demo 11:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33776055/Terrablox/tb11.zip

Changes:
  • Ground foliage (grass, flowers), based on noise texture
  • Re-organised debug display
  • Gamma correction setting
  • More blocks (press E to open inventory)
  • Pause menu
  • Random foliage applied to trees
  • Mountain blending is back, now based on a noise texture
  • And possibly other things that I forgot

I will add rotation to the grass at some point, to make it less samey. It's not that straight-forward as my vertex format limits the position to integers. So I'm going to have to send translation data to each vertex, there's plenty of spare bits less to fit it in though. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:31:52 PM by JackOatley »

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »
The whole world is reacting like water and the water is reacting like the world lol, there are waves everywhere lmfaooo
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
The whole world is reacting like water and the water is reacting like the world lol, there are waves everywhere lmfaooo

Turn post-processing off in your INI file. It's because a different shader is used that I didn't update to match the new constants for block types. I have a fix for this already in, but seeing as post-processing only renders to a depth buffer, which isn't even used, there's no point having it on and thus no need for an urgent fix. Turn it off, it's all your fault! ;)

It'll be fixed in next update. :)

R34LD34L

• "TERRABLOX!!!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
 :D ;D :D
Schematic Mod Thingy!!!!

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
Just a wee update. Christmas and new years are out the way, and I'm getting back in the groove of working. I've got a big changelog for the next update which I hope to get out soon, maybe tomorrow, it's just some fixes/polish with the keymapping stuff and UI I need to sort out. Turn out I have to move flat again next month so that may cause another time blip, lol.