Author Topic: Pre-Release Release!  (Read 11724 times)

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
Pre-Release Release!
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
OK, so you may have been expecting flashing lights and a cheering crowed of thousands! But no, this is it! :P

Only kidding, while this is the game, the intention here is testing. So it's only here for the time being to see any obvious issues you hit upon that I can fix within a week. In a week (Christmas Eve!) will be the one I announce as it were. So keep it on the down low, don't go shouting about it, I just wanna make sure it works. :)

What I'm looking for is first impressions. Long load times? Terrain chunks popping in slowly? Dodgy sound? Etc. If you wanna work out your avg FPS at different points you can (press F3), and that may help. How it feels, what confused you if anything. And general stuff like that. Also, PC specs will also help, as I can form together a min-req to improve upon.

Anyway, still have fun (if it works)!

Version: Alpha 0.1.3
Download

Changelogs:
Alpha 0.1.3
Spoiler (hover to show)
Alpha 0.1.2
Spoiler (hover to show)
Alpha 0.1.1
Spoiler (hover to show)
Alpha 0.1.0
Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:20:58 PM by JackOatley »

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Release Release!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:43:04 PM »
Damn.... too excited O_o
Thought itll be more like epic shouting and news bout it or countdown... but as i see, you secretly just dropped it here :D
Will give my thoughts on it when ill open the zip file and extract and open it.. (play too ofcourse)

Saw myself on credits WTF :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:46:22 PM by Braffolk »

trg601

• Just a guy
    • View Profile
    • Mutant Brain Games
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
HOLY SH** I AM SO FLABGASTERINGLY EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think I used that wrong)

I AM DOWNLOADING NOW!!!!!!

SORRY FOR MY CAPS!!!!!!!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I got to go away from my computer for a couple hours...
I WILL TRY IT LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've made some stuff for terrablox, but I'm too lazy to link to much of it.
Terrablox Solder
Join the Terrablox Chatroom!

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
I will just keep writing my impressions here while playing...
Well, opened it up, some read me stuff popped up, readed 2 first lines... enough time to play.

took like 3 secs to create new world but couldnt figure out controls at start (like going to first person mode)  :-[

Found some annoying bugs with world loading and started writign this and terrablox really really slowed down it for some weird reason

DARN, clicked main menu.... my world, its gone o_O

no help button?

damn....collisions still broken a bit :S

Its too slow to build something :S when i break something it takes like 0.5 secs to show i did that... there is the sound and the black rectangle moves to next block but it takes time to actually see the destroyed placed block appear or dissapear.

i want fullscreen  :'(

Found my tree :D

making room for my new house and suddenly realized...

Finally realized.... there is "controls.txt".

Went back to my world.... wait, where is my home??? it spawned me at the beginnning! NOOOO!

Built a totally legit small "river"

And again and again... getting stuck in leaves ! So annoying!

Dont try to go underground, you cant... Block Limit

First house ever! No doors.... no torches ? :,( and i cant disable GUI...

Clouds <3

Cant find my home :,( and some weirdo stares at me :S

water pyramid WTF

Hehe...

Anyways, here are the biggest problems i found:
Block updating time is too slow which makes it very slow to build.
FOV is too small.
Terrible collisions, made me get stuck into my own buildings and had to destroy them to get out...

I just hope that i didnt post too many screenshots :S

Uxernome

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »
my anti virus doesn't let me save my game. You forgot to switch the game back to the default texture pack; by that I mean the current "default" textures are from the OCD PACK. BTW nice performance, the game isn't slow on at all!

Edit: I just want to remind you that the controls are slightly different than in the controls.txt
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:42:15 PM by Uxernome »

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »
AMAZING YAYAYAYAY!!!!
Say nope to dope!

dadio

• Baby Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »
Cool that it's finally out in da wild!  8) Excited to see what people make with it! I'll give it a good test when I reach Tokyo (assuming it works at all on a 1.6Ghz Atom with 2gigs of RAM...) ;D

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
Man Braffolk, that post made me hurt!  ;D

When you say problems with the world loading, do you mean just slow/bad ordering of updating? Or chunks that NEVER update?

Yeah, placing/removing blocks quickly can cause them to not get updated for a while, I never tried this at lower FPS but it happens high as well. It's because when you destroy a block, it send a chunk update request for the current chunk and the surrounding ones (so they update their face culling), but it doesn't always need to request all those chunks. There may also be an issue with ordering. I have this on my list now. Just clarify, it's not an FPS issue as well, like is there noticeable input lag or anything?

Uh yeah, a lot of your stuff on my list now. Glad it wasn't diabolical though! :P

And Uxernome, your antivirus is troublesome! You can go to the ini file in Document>Terrablox to edit to resolution and fullscreen. Does it even Create/export the Terrablox folder? And yes, the texture pack, I did mention to Terrabloxian it might end up going in. It's simply better than anything I had... And Dadio is away til new year so I can't get anything else for a while (as you can read from his pro-ninja move there). :/

Uxernome

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
Man Braffolk, that post made me hurt!  ;D

When you say problems with the world loading, do you mean just slow/bad ordering of updating? Or chunks that NEVER update?

Yeah, placing/removing blocks quickly can cause them to not get updated for a while, I never tried this at lower FPS but it happens high as well. It's because when you destroy a block, it send a chunk update request for the current chunk and the surrounding ones (so they update their face culling), but it doesn't always need to request all those chunks. There may also be an issue with ordering. I have this on my list now. Just clarify, it's not an FPS issue as well, like is there noticeable input lag or anything?

Uh yeah, a lot of your stuff on my list now. Glad it wasn't diabolical though! :P

And Uxernome, your antivirus is troublesome! You can go to the ini file in Document>Terrablox to edit to resolution and fullscreen. Does it even Create/export the Terrablox folder? And yes, the texture pack, I did mention to Terrabloxian it might end up going in. It's simply better than anything I had... And Dadio is away til new year so I can't get anything else for a while (as you can read from his pro-ninja move there). :/
Ah! you got Ninja'd! At exactly 11:42:15 pm I found out about the ini file, at 11:44:57 you posted your reply! NINJAS ARE EVERYWHERE!!! And sincerely, please, OCD is a fan-made texture pack like every other, you can't just make it your official like that, it's unfair. Also the real default pack looks much more professional than OCD, though, it's just an opinion.

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
Well, its kinda hard to write a proper post with the lag terrablox gave my computer... I have never had such lag with any other game but there was nolag inside the game...

"When you say problems with the world loading, do you mean just slow/bad ordering of updating? Or chunks that NEVER update?"

Do you mean unloaded chunks? if so then they do load, but i can walk in them 10-60 seconds until they load.

And with block breaking and placing it just takes awhile still the block i changed gets updated. (0.5 - 2 secs)

@Uxernome

I suggest you getting rid of your current antivirus and getting a proper one, if you dont have enough money and also dont like to enjoy THE rum with PIRATEs one the little BAY then you should get AVG (which i use and havent had any similar problems).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:59:54 PM by Braffolk »

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
Hmmm, that's odd then, so like, you paused the game and it's minimized or behind another window? :/

Braffolk

• I like beans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »
Hmmm, that's odd then, so like, you paused the game and it's minimized or behind another window? :/

The lag?
Paused and minimized. And tried to write the reply and it was just too slow.  :-\

JackOatley

• Global Moderator
  • Nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:01 AM »
OK, I'll look into it. There's some obvious things I can change. But it's still an odd one. Be interesting to see your PC specs, as maybe it's a CPU thing, multi-tasking and that.

Uxernome

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 12:16:13 AM »
@Braffolk yeah, only problem is that I cannot uninstall it. But the problem is fixed, I just had to go in the settings and get the file in the exclusion list.

Terrabloxian

• Drop it like it's hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »
Here are my specs: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv4-1225dx/4507-3121_7-33497654.html

The game is sexy and runs nicely on my machine. However, after I place or break a block, It doesnt update untill after I look at the spot again. I can also walk out to where the world seam would be but there is nothing there graphics wise. The chunks take FOREVER to load. The game gets cofused with whether I'm pressing or releasing a key, so When I press W, sometimes he gets stuck, and when I release it, he jumps ahead some. then I press it again and he stops. I will show you in action, all of the glitches and bugs.
Say nope to dope!